Are you a trained scientist looking to step away from the bench but wanting to stay involved with the research community? The Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL) Library & Archives seeks a highly motivated, collaborative, and enthusiastic Research Data Informationist to lead the Library Data management and data sharing program, to join our team of information professionals supporting research at the forefront of cancer, neuroscience, genomics, quantitative biology, and plant biology.
We are seeking a candidate with a passionate interest in current life science research and experience in science communication.
The candidate will work with CSHL researchers to provide expert guidance and instruction on data management relevant to research settings, and publication, including advising on metadata standards, data analysis, data visualization, and data sharing.
The ideal applicant will contribute to the production of cutting-edge knowledge by supporting our investigators and facilitating the dissemination of research. The Research Data Informationist reports to the Executive Director of the Library & Archives.
Responsibilities and Duties:
Lead the Library’s Research Data Management initiative by implementing and teaching the best practices of research data management
Improve effectiveness and efficiency of communication with CSHL researchers regarding data
Investigate research practices and remain current with information resources related to data planning, use, organization, management, storage, and curation
Participate in efforts to measure the impact of CSHL research by utilizing web-based analytic services such as Altmetrics
Serve as liaison to our research laboratories by forging relationships with faculty and students
Provide relevant scientific literature to graduate students, faculty, and researchers in the fields of cancer biology, genomics, plant biology, neuroscience, and quantitative biology.
Participate in a new project incorporating artificial intelligence in our library
Participate in Science Journal Club program for high school students
Participate in writing grants for different projects
· Advanced degree in life science, data science, library science, or another relevant data-intensive discipline
· 1-3 years’ experience working in an academic environment
Skills and Responsibilities:
· Knowledge of the data lifecycle across a range of data types
· Ability to partner with researchers to evaluate data planning needs and assess options for sharing data
· Understanding of metadata standards in a research data context
· Assist CSHL researchers in making their data FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, and Reusable).
· Provide training in the areas of data management, data visualization, and data analysis
· Familiarity with research and teaching information needs in the life sciences
· Knowledge of the publication process in the sciences
· Provide training on the various platforms, including research information management systems, databases (PubMed, Scopus, Web of Science, etc.), etc.
· Ability to work with people from diverse cultural backgrounds
· Excellent interpersonal, multitasking, verbal, and written communication skills
· Demonstrated strength in statistical analysis and methods
· Collaborative work ethic
· Data visualization skills
· Demonstrated knowledge in FAIR data
· Demonstrated interest in the role of data in open knowledge production
· Familiarity with programming/statistical languages (such as R, Python, Matlab, )
· Expertise and experience in the life sciences
Interested candidates should apply via the CSHL Careers website at: https://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/17929
Position Number: 00534-E
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is a world-renowned research and educational institution with programs in cancer, neuroscience, plant biology, genomics and bioinformatics. The Laboratory is recognized internationally for its excellence in research and educational activities. For more information about CSHL, please visit https://www.cshl.edu.
You are required to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 as a condition to your employment at the Laboratory, except in instances where you have a qualifying medical condition or sincerely held religious belief, practice, or observance that is contrary to receiving the vaccine. You will be required to provide proof of your vaccination on your first day of employment. For those individuals, who are unable to receive a vaccine due to access issues, they will be expected to receive the vaccine upon arrival in New York.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Tagged as: Computer Science, Life Sciences
Several NIH funded postdoctoral/staff positions are available to study the biology of neurodegeneration. The broad goals of this project are...Apply
Full-Time Postdoctoral Fellow, Nallasamy LabDepartment of Ophthalmology and Visual SciencesDepartment of Computational Medicine University of Michigan, Kellogg Eye Center Location:Nallasamy...Apply
Autism genetics lab at UCSF in San Francisco seeking staff researcher (recent college grads welcome) or postdoctoral fellow for computational...Apply
Research areas: Computational immuno-oncology, computational immunology, cancer immunogenomics We are looking for a highly motivated data scientist to join Dr....Apply
Position Description: We are seeking a postdoctoral fellow to study the molecular and neural mechanisms controlling reproduction, and other homeostatic...Apply
Lab manager at Mount Sinai Employer: Mount Sinai School of Medicine Research lab: Nanomedicine Lab, Biomedical Engineering and Imaging Institute...Apply