We are seeking an enthusiastic biodiversity curator, with broad biological experience and specific knowledge of the biodiversity domain, as well as a strong interest in interacting with our services’ user community. You will work in the Data Coordination and Archiving Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), located on the Wellcome Genome Campus near Cambridge (UK). The team maintains close collaborations with both data submitters and those retrieving data and offers extensive Helpdesk facilities.
The successful applicant will work in a team of developers, bioinformaticians, data curators and technical support staff upon innovative data services provided from the European Nucleotide Archive (ENA) as part of the Darwin Tree of Life project (https://www.darwintreeoflife.org/) which aims to sequence the genomes of all eukaryotic organisms in Britain and Ireland. You will be involved in providing support for genome assembly and barcoding data flow into ENA and metadata standards development. Additionally, you will provide similar support for Moore Foundation Aquatic Symbiosis Genomics initiative, which will generate high-quality reference genomes for improved understanding of the role of symbioses in global ecosystems.
In addition to the projects outlined above, you will also be involved two further projects:
• The Biodiversity Community Integrated Knowledge Library (BiCIKL), you will be involved in providing curation support for the linking and integration of biodiversity and life science data which will ultimately be represented in a biodiversity knowledge graph.
• The UniEuk project (https://unieuk.org/) will provide a Universal taxonomic framework and integrated reference gene databases for Eukaryotic biology, ecology, and evolution. You will play a role in ensuring linkage and curation of sequence data in this project.
Your work will be carried out in close communication with our project partners. You will be required to take an active part in the delivery of data coordination services, attending and presenting at internal and external project meetings.
The ideal candidate will hold a bachelor’s degree and PhD in biological sciences or bioinformatics. Strong knowledge of molecular biology and biodiversity-related methods, such as molecular ecology and taxonomy, is required.
You must have experience in the following:
• Data curation experience
• Knowledge of genome assembly formats
• Understanding of barcoding process
• Working in the Biodiversity domain
• Knowledge of taxonomy and natural history collections
• Unix/Linux command line knowledge
• Requirements gathering
The candidate is expected to:
• Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrate being highly organised
• Be able to demonstrate a high attention to detail
• Work both independently and as part of a team
• Be able to meet deadlines
You might also have
And the following would be desirable:
• Understanding of sample provenance/metadata
• Experience working with XML format and schema
• Basic scripting skills
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL-EBI you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind’s greatest challenges. EMBL-EBI is a worldwide leader in the storage, analysis and dissemination of large biological datasets. We provide the global research community with access to publicly available databases and tools which are crucial for the advancement of healthcare, food security, and biodiversity.
Join a culture of innovation
We are located on the Wellcome Genome Campus, alongside other prominent research and biotech organisations, and surrounded by beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside. This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential.
Enjoy lots of benefits:
• Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, pension scheme including 17% employer contribution, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
• Flexible working arrangements
• Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family (including all prescriptions and generous dental & optical cover)
• Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year, in addition to eight bank holidays
• Relocation package including installation grant (as applicable)
• Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, on-site library, subsidised on-site gym and cafeteria, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities (on campus and remotely)
• Family benefits: On-site nursery, child sick leave, generous parental leave, holiday clubs on campus and monthly family and child allowances
• Benefits for non-UK residents: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance.
For more details, please see our employee benefits page.
What else you need to know
• Contract duration: This position is a 2-year grant-limited contract.
• International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions. Read more on our page for international applicants.
• Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL-EBI, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought. We encourage applications from women, LGBTQ+ and individuals from all nationalities.
• Job location: This role is based in Hinxton, UK and you will be required to relocate once it is safe to do so, if you are currently based abroad. Read more about how we are recruiting during the pandemic.
• Your application: To apply please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system. We aim to provide a response within two weeks after the closing date: 21 June 2021.
Tagged as: Environmental Science, Life Sciences
Summary of Job Purpose and Principal Duties We are seeking two postdoctoral researchers to participate in a major new global...Apply
Summary of Job Purpose and Principal Duties We are seeking a postdoctoral researcher with data analysis expertise to participate in...Apply
Postdoctoral Researcher Salary: £32,255 – £39,345 depending on qualifications and experience. Contract: 3 years fulltime Location: John Innes Centre, Norwich,...Apply
Applications are sought for a Postdoctoral Research Assistant to join a team led by Dr Susana Godinho to study the...Apply
Two lecturer posts at the School of Psychology, University of Aberdeen, Scotland As part of the continued development of the...Apply