Research Scientist – Center for Clinical and Translational Research (Smoyer Lab)
Works under the mentorship of an established RI principal investigator or Senior Research Scientists to design experiments and develop protocols to conduct research in a specific scientific area. From the results of studies, helps to develop hypotheses for further investigation. Prepares technical materials such as abstracts, annual reports, scientific papers, presentations, and grant applications. Publishes scientific articles in appropriate refereed journals. Works toward a goal of becoming independent in his/her research effort, and eventually obtaining external research funding.
Schedule: Full time, Benefits Eligible
Abigail Wexner Research Institute
700 Children’s Drive
Columbus, OH 43205
The moment you walk through our doors, you can feel it. When you meet one of our patient families, you believe it. And when you talk with anyone who works here, you want to be part of it, too. Welcome to Nationwide Children’s Hospital, where Passion Meets Purpose.
Here, Everyone Matters. We’re 12,000 strong. And it takes every single one of us to improve the lives of the kids we care for, and the kids from around the world we’ll never even meet. Kids who are living healthier, fuller lives because of the knowledge we share. We know it takes a Collaborative Culture to deliver on our promise to provide the very best, innovative care and to foster new discoveries, made possible by the most groundbreaking research. Anywhere.
Ask anyone with a Nationwide Children’s badge what they do for a living. They’ll tell you it’s More Than a Job. It’s a calling. It’s a chance to use and grow your talent to make an impact that truly matters. Because here, we exist simply to help children everywhere.
Nationwide Children’s Hospital. A Place to Be Proud
1. With minimal guidance from a RI mentor, designs experiments and develops protocols required to conduct productive research in relevant scientific areas. After the study has been designed, performs the research work in accordance with the protocol. Such work may involve the use of laboratory animals or human subjects and may require evening and/or weekend duties.
2. Prepares and tests substrates, conducts assays, and prepares tissue cultures for use in research studies.
3. Collects blood, urine, and other samples as needed. Such activities may be performed independently and may require evening and weekend hours.
4. Collects and controls experimental data and human research subject information; and maintains accurate daily logs of experiments including methods, results, and conclusions.
5. Orders supplies needed to conduct research; maintains inventory of equipment and supplies; and assures that research equipment is in good working order.
6. Helps to train and supervise technical support staff and visiting scientists in performing specific techniques essential to carrying out the research program.
7. Records and analyzes data generated by the research study and actively participates in the planning of future research endeavors.
8. Prepares scientific and technical papers from the results of the research work. Actively participates in the preparation and publication of papers in appropriate refereed scientific journals. Presents findings at local (particularly RI research meetings), national and international research forums.
9. If appropriate, collaborates with other ongoing research efforts either at RI or at The Ohio State University.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Experience with proteomics, transcriptomics (RNASeq), or metabolomics research and data analyses
MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Percent of time spent on:
25% Designing and developing protocols
25% Performing research work
25% Recording and analyzing data generated by research study
10% Preparing scientific and technical papers
03% Liaison with OSU researchers
02% Miscellaneous paperwork associated with research
Minimum physical requirements:
100% Kneeling / reaching
100% Finger dexterity
100% Talking / hearing / seeing
33% Lifting / carrying weight 0-20 pounds for 1-5 minutes
Pressure in this position will vary depending on the workload. The workload will be heavy but manageable most of the time. Pressure may arise in the face of deadlines associated with research and also with the preparation of manuscripts and grant applications.
The above list of duties is intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by individuals assigned to this classification. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of duties performed by the individual so classified, nor is it intended to limit or modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision.
Tagged as: Life Sciences
Gordian is a gene therapy company developing therapeutics for diseases of aging. Our discovery platform allows us to simultaneously screen...Apply
Scientist/Sr. Scientist Computational Biology Kaleido Biosciences is a clinical-stage healthcare company with a differentiated, chemistry-driven approach to leveraging the potential...Apply
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new...Apply
We are looking for an experienced POSTDOCTORAL scholar or STAFF SCIENTIST in the area of bioactive microbial chemistry to join...Apply
We are currently looking for a highly skilled Research Specialist – Scientific Software Programming to develop software for computational biological...Apply