About Torbett Lab and Projects
The laboratory of Dr. Bruce E. Torbett (www.torbettlab.org) is looking for a Research Scientist III to be a workstream leader in projects related to Immune Signaling Pathways involved in HIV entry. This work aims to investigate how opioids (and other immune modulators) affect HIV entry and latency, with particular focus on signaling pathways involved in host restriction and viral reactivation. This work also includes focus on the molecular mechanisms for HIV transport through the Nuclear Pore Complex, with insights of novel host-viral interfaces being translatable to new therapeutic strategies. This work involves setting up and managing studies of immune signaling pathways during active HIV infection in primary cells using Molecular Virology approaches. Ideal Candidate will have a Ph.D. in Virology or related field, with documented experience using standard virology approaches to investigate immune-signaling dynamics.
The group works as a highly dynamic and interactive team and is part of the Center for Immunity and Immunotherapies (CIIT) of Seattle Children’s Research Institute (SCRI). Our studies are funded through a number of grants from the NIH (including the flagship HIVE Center). You will have the opportunity to interact and form collaborations with CIIT, SCRI and HIVE Center Investigators, as well as with collaborators throughout the Seattle area (University of Washington, Fred Hutch)
Seattle Children’s Research Institute and Torbett Lab offer competitive salaries, relocation assistance (if/as applicable), in addition to eligibility to a competitive benefits package as a full time employee.
About the Position
· Implement and run a workstream in an autonomous manner in close coordination with Principal Investigator (PI)
· Development/Writing of Grants and Funding Opportunities
· Meet with Principal Investigator on a regular basis to discuss proposed/ongoing studies, discuss implications of findings, and provide insights into new research directions
· Within the area of expertise, actively support Principal Investigator in training and supervising of Post-Doctoral Fellows, Graduate Students, and Technicians
· Run research projects in an independent manner
· Write manuscripts, present data at national and international conferences
· Assist PI in writing progress reports, grant proposals, protocols
· Protocol development and review
· Excellent communication and writing skills
· Develop additional scientific skills as appropriate for the research project and carry out research/development activities of assigned research projects.
· Ability to learn and apply new technologies and skills
· PhD (or equivalent) in Biochemistry or related field OR
· Master’s Degree in Biochemistry or related field plus minimum three (3) years of related experience OR
· Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Biochemistry or related field plus minimum five (5) years of related experience with a strong publication record
· Related work experience must include the following:
o Experience in Mass Spectrometry-based Proteomics to identify host-factors of microbial infections
o Experience in target validation using relevant in vivo and in vitro assays (eg. Gene targeting with CRISPR/Cas9)
o Cell culture (adherent/suspension cell lines)
o Fluorescence Microscopy
o Various methods of protein isolation, labelling, qualification, and quantification
o Bioconjugation and/or chemical biology
· PhD Degree in Biochem or related field
· Working knowledge of high-throughput screening technologies
· Immunoassays (such as p24 ELISA)
· Knowledge of Structural Biology
· Confocal Microscopy
· Knowledge of Bioinformatics as it pertains to analysis of proteomics datasets
· Protein Chemistry and Chemical Biology
· Protein engineering
Hope. Care. Cure. These three simple words capture what we do at Seattle Children’s – to help every child live the healthiest and most fulfilling life possible. Are you ready to engage with a mission-driven organization that is life-changing to many, and touches the hearts of all? #HOPECARECURE
As one of the nation’s top five pediatric research centers, Seattle Children’s Research Institute is dedicated to providing hope, care, and cures to help every child live the healthiest and most fulfilling life possible.
Our investigators are involved in hundreds of projects that cover every phase of research, from studying how diseases work to improving investigational therapies. They have pioneered groundbreaking cystic fibrosis treatments and cutting-edge cancer therapies that help a child’s immune system defeat cancer, and made other major contributions to pediatric medicine.
Researchers work in close collaboration with one another, their colleagues at partner institutions including the University of Washington and Fred Hutch and our healthcare providers at Seattle Children’s Hospital, one of U.S. News & World Report’s top children’s hospitals. This collaboration is one of our key strengths, allowing our faculty to draw on a variety of disciplines and techniques as they pursue solutions to some of medicine’s most complex problems.
We are committed to not only treating disease but to eliminating it. Help us achieve our vision of being a worldwide leader in pediatric research aimed to improve the health and well-being of children. If you are interested in a challenging career aimed at groundbreaking research, Seattle Children’s Research Institute is the place for you.
Tagged as: Life Sciences
The laboratory of Dr. J. Kevin Foskett has immediate openings for motivated individuals to fill NIH-funded postdoctoral and research-associate positions....Apply
The Altius Institute for Biomedical Sciences is a non-profit research institute in Seattle, WA. Dr. Meuleman’s research interests span genome...Apply
Early career bioinformatics positions available! Positions are to be filled ASAP. Data Tecnica International (DTi) invites applications for two new...Apply
The Microscopy and Imaging Facility at the University of Texas at Austin is seeking a Light Microscope Specialist to train...Apply
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory is seeking an experienced research scientist for an immediate opening as Manager/Assistant Director of Metabolomics. The successful candidate...Apply
The Stowers Institute for Medical Research has an opening for a Research Technician to join the Halfmann lab (http://research.stowers.org/halfmannlab/). The...Apply