We are seeking an enthusiastic and organized critical thinker to join our research group. The focus of our group is streptococcal interactions with host glycan structures. These interactions are critical in colonization of the oral cavity and development of infective endocarditis. We are looking someone with experience in a range of molecular biology and biochemical skills including bacterial mutagenesis and protein expression. Experience with bacterial binding assays, microscopy, and bioinformatics is a plus. Successful applicants will be expected to present their work and contribute to preparation of manuscripts.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. With guidance from a CRI mentor, design experiments and develops protocols required to conduct productive research in a specific scientific area. After the study has been designed, performs the research work in accordance with the protocol.
2. Helps to train and supervise technical support staff in performing specific techniques essential to carrying out the research program.
3. Records and analyzes data generated by the research study, and helps to plan future research endeavors.
4. Prepares scientific and technical papers from the results of the research work. Publishes papers in appropriate refereed scientific journals. Presents findings at local (particularly CRI research meetings) and national research forums.
5. If appropriate, collaborates with other ongoing research efforts either at CRI or at The Ohio State University.
6. This is considered a training position therefore the RI will allow a trainee 5 years to advance beyond the level of Post Doc.
7. Works toward research independence. Prepares to submit proposals to and obtain funding from external granting agencies.
Reports to: Either established CRI principal investigator (i.e. OSU faculty member) or a CRI Senior Research Scientist for guidance in research endeavors
knowledge , skills and abilities required
1. MD, Ph.D, Pharm.D., or equivalent degree.
2. Necessary technical skills in the appropriate area of research.
3. Ability to do technical writing, and good communication skills.
Minimum Physical Requirements
Percent of time spent on:
15% Designing and developing protocols
50% Performing research work
20% Recording and analyzing data generated by research study
10% Preparing scientific and technical papers
03% Liaison with OSU researchers
02% Miscellaneous paperwork associated with research
Minimum physical requirements:
100% Kneeling / reaching
100% Finger dexterity
100% Talking / hearing / seeing
33% Lifting / carrying weight 0-20 pounds for 1-5 minutes
Pressure in this position will vary depending on the workload. The workload will be heavy but manageable most of the time. Pressure may arise in the face of deadlines associated research and manuscript writing.
Tagged as: Life Sciences
The Calderwood lab is seeking postdocs interested in using cell biological, biochemical and/or structural approaches to investigate protein networks controlling...Apply
The laboratory of Dr. Dimitrios Davalos at the Department of Neurosciences of the Lerner Research Institute of Cleveland Clinic is...Apply
The group of Assistant Professor Tommaso Cupido at St Jude Children’s Research Hospital (Memphis, TN) is seeking a highly motivated...Apply
Impact the discovery of new disease therapies at the Carpenter laboratory (a.k.a. Imaging Platform). Join our vibrant, world-class, nonprofit biomedical...Apply
A postdoc position is available in the Günzl laboratory in the Department of Genetics & Genome Sciences at UConn Health...Apply
Job Description: The position of research post doc is available in the Biology Department in the Hehnly lab. Responsibilities include...Apply