This is an opportunity for an outstanding postdoctoral candidate to contribute to NIH-funded research projects in the Respiratory Medicine and Exercise Physiology. Fellowships will provide a research training experience designed to develop broad-based expertise in research in respiratory physiology, exercise physiology and pulmonary neuro-immune reflex regulation, and to develop the skills required for an independent research career.
The training occurs in the context of the activities in Institute of Respiratory Medicine and Exercise Physiology within the Lundquist Institute for Biomedical Innovation at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center (TLI). TLI is one of the country’s leading non-profit biomedical research institutes, located on the campus of Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Los Angeles County. Positions are available under the primary mentorships of:
· Dr Nicholas Jendzjowsky (email@example.com) – focusing on sensory neuron mediated immune activation, using rodent models of allergy and infection neuroendocrine cell and neuronal cell culture, confocal imaging and intravital imaging, extracellular and intracellular electrophysiology and flow cytometry.
· Dr Harry Rossiter (firstname.lastname@example.org) – focusing on mechanisms of muscle wasting in COPD patients, using CT imaging, cardiopulmonary exercise testing, muscle biopsy, mitochondrial function and myotube cell culture.
Successful candidates will benefit from an advisory team including Richard Casaburi, PhD, MD, William Stringer, MD, Janos Porszasz, MD, PhD and Carrie Ferguson, PhD. The group is world-recognized for research in physiological mechanisms of exercise limitation in health and disease, and its research is published in the highest-ranked journals in field.
The ideal candidate should be a highly motivated researcher with a background in respiratory medicine or exercise physiology. Candidates should have a doctoral degree (PhD, MD, DVM, or equivalent) with a track record of scientific achievement as evidenced by peer-reviewed journal publications. The fellowship is a full-time fixed-term, consisting of a yearly appointment with renewal contingent upon performance. Remuneration will be commensurate with experience and based on NIH guidelines. Experience in the following is desirable: chronic obstructive pulmonary disease; exercise testing; mitochondrial biology; bioinformatics; neuroscience; immunology. Excellent communication, presentation and writing skills are essential, as is the ability to work with complex data and work successfully in a highly collegial team.
Positions are available from August 1st, 2021.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
· A doctoral degree (PhD, MD, DVM, or equivalent)
· A track record of scientific achievement as evidenced by peer-reviewed journal publications
· Experience in exercise physiology, physiology, and/or neuroscience and working with either (a) human subjects or (b) animal models or cell culture.
Description of Duties:
· Conduct physiology research in with Institute priorities
· Evaluate research methods and results, and to relate such evaluations appropriately to your own work
· Communicate research findings through written publications and other recognised forms of output
· Contribute to the supervision of less experienced researchers in the group
· In collaboration with the mentor team, apply for external research support
· Contribute to ongoing clinical research in the Institute of Respiratory Medicine and Exercise Physiology
Tagged as: Life Sciences
Fang Lab Department of Genetics and Genomic Sciences Institute for Data Science and Genomic Technology Icahn School of Medicine at...Apply
A fully funded post-doctoral position is available in the Palmieri Lab at The Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center and...Apply
The Serezani lab at Vanderbilt University Medical Center is looking to recruit a postdoctoral associate to work on different NIH-funded...Apply
The Thyme lab uses zebrafish as a model system to understand the genetic mechanisms underlying psychiatric and neurodevelopmental disease. We...Apply
A NIH-funded postdoctoral position is available in the Barnard Neurobiology lab, led by Dr. Maria de la Paz Fernandez. Our...Apply
A funded postdoctoral research position is available in the laboratory of Dr. Hong-Yuan Chu, Van Andel Institute, Grand Rapids, Michigan,...Apply