The Hernandez and Torgerson Lab is recruiting two postdocs in the fields of Bioinformatics, Population Genetics, Metabolomics, and/or Statistical Genetics to start as early as Fall 2021. We seek to grow our research team with individuals from diverse backgrounds who share an interest in developing or applying computational methods to address a variety of biomedical questions. The successful candidates will collaborate with lab members and the greater scientific community to develop and refine their unique research portfolio, making them highly competitive to achieve their desired career objectives. While we have funding for a variety of projects, lab members are encouraged to develop/mature their own scientific identity.
Current projects in the lab include:
· Population genetic modeling of deeply sequencing human populations
· Statistical modeling of the genetic architecture of complex traits among diverse populations
· Integrative genomic and metabolomic studies of postnatal lung development and respiratory outcomes of preterm infants
· Genomics and epidemiology of asthma and viral respiratory infections
· Decoupling race, ethnicity, and genetic ancestry in cancer and other complex traits
We value diverse voices in science, and seek to support individuals from all backgrounds to become highly successful computational scientists while maintaining a work-life balance. Our preferred qualifications are below, but we recognize that everyone will be strong in some areas and will seek growth in others.
Preferred Qualifications (or required, as noted):
· PhD (required by start of position)
· Experience in the analysis of genomics, metabolomics, or other ‘omics data, including the manipulation of large-scale datasets
· Programming experience in R or Python/Perl (or something exciting like Julia or Rust!)
· Familiarity with large compute clusters or cloud computing
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to manage multiple projects and multiple PIs
UCSF is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The Hernandez and Torgerson Lab is committed to upholding the UCSF PRIDE values of Professionalism, Respect, Integrity, Diversity, and Excellence. We believe that cultivating an environment founded on these PRIDE values with a focus on ensuring equity and inclusion will further drive the computing innovations that are needed for breakthroughs in biological understanding and health equity. We highly encourage applications from individuals across the gender spectrum, as well as from individuals with backgrounds historically excluded in biomedical and health research.
For more information, please visit https://hernandezlab.ucsf.edu.
To apply, please send a cover letter, CV, and list of 3 references to Dara Torgerson (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Ryan Hernandez (email@example.com). Your cover letter should be no more than 1 page, and include: experience, what excites you about science, how your scientific interests fit in with our labs’ previous/ongoing work, and what your career goals are.
Tagged as: Computer Science, Life Sciences, Mathematics
Postdoctoral Research Fellow in San Francisco, California A postdoc opportunity is available to study hepatic fibrosis in the lab of...Apply
Two postdoc positions are available in the research group of Dr. M.-N. Frances Yap at Northwestern University Feinberg School of...Apply
Postdoctoral fellowship positions are available in the Maitra Lab at MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas. Our lab conducts...Apply
We are seeking a highly motivated postdoctoral researcher to study ubiquitin-dependent regulation of stem cell maintenance and differentiation in normal...Apply
The Manoli Lab in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and the Center for Integrative Neuroscience at the University...Apply
Postdoctoral positions in cancer epigenetics are available in the laboratory of Dr. Rui Lu at the University of Alabama at...Apply