The University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine is seeking a Research Assistant to participate in the design, execution, and management of biochemical and molecular research in the Wright proteomics laboratory https://michaelewright.lab.uiowa.edu/ located in the Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics. The Wright lab uses mass spectrometry-based proteomics to study cellular signaling through the dynamic behavior of protein complexes in cells, tissues, and bodily fluids. The position requires a lead role in the general operation of the laboratory including, but not limited to, overseeing lab undergraduates, maintenance of lab infrastructure, extensive molecular biology, skill in the maintenance of cell lines, and the operation of microscopes and other bioanalytical equipment.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
-To manage lab functions and activities
-Design and conduct research studies in molecular biology, cell biology, protein biochemistry, and mammalian culture.
-Record, organize, and present laboratory data at lab meetings. Preparing data for publications and grant proposals.
-Interpret data and analyze data for publication.
-Demonstrate ability to successfully multitask by effectively allocating time and managing involvement in several research projects
-Possesses a strong initiative and desire to troubleshoot/problem-solve technical and experimental challenges.
-Demonstrate excellent organizational skills and documentation in a research laboratory setting.
-Perform data management and processing with standard software.
-Specified term salaried position located in Iowa City, Iowa
-Fringe benefit package including paid vacation; sick leave; health, dental, life and disability insurance options; and generous employer contributions into retirement plans
-The University of Iowa offers a generous benefits package, including paid vacation and paid sick leave. Complete information regarding the full benefits package may be viewed at: https://hr.uiowa.edu/benefits/fpsm.
• A Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
• General supervision is received from Dr. Michael Wright.
• Functional supervision may be exercised over laboratory students.
The candidate is required to have:
• At least one year of laboratory management and supervisory experience.
• Advanced experience with molecular biology lab techniques.
• Experience with molecular biology software.
• Experience with bacterial and mammalian cell culture.
• Experience with protein biochemistry, Western blotting, Immunohistochemistry.
• Experience with Microsoft Excel or other data analysis software.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
• Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
• Knowledge of basic protein biochemistry and mass spectrometry-related methods.
• Experience in DNA subcloning and the in-silico design and construction of Crispr-Cas9 targeting vectors.
• Proficiency with DNA manipulation software – SnapGene suite preferred.
• Experience in tissue culture techniques.
• Experience in co-immunoprecipitation methods.
• Experience with Python programming and the manipulation of open-access mass spectrometry software programs.
• Experience in the digestion of proteins for mass spectrometry analyses.
• Microscope imaging.
Application Process: In order to be considered, applicants must upload a CV/resume and cover letter that clearly addresses how they meet the listed required and desired qualifications of this position. Upload application to https://uiowa.referrals.selectminds.com/jobs/research-assistant-molecular-physiology-biophysics-14432
Successful candidates will be subject to a criminal background check. This position is not eligible for University sponsorship for employment authorization.
Tagged as: Life Sciences
Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, located on Long Island, New York, is seeking candidates for an immediate opening for a Research...Apply
Early career bioinformatics positions available! Positions are to be filled ASAP. Data Tecnica International (DTi) invites applications for two new...Apply
Postdoctoral positions are available in the laboratory of Dr. Jian Xu at Children’s Research Institute (CRI), UT Southwestern Medical Center...Apply
The Sneddon lab is seeking highly motivated applicants for a full-time position as a Junior/Assistant/Associate/Full Specialist in our group. The...Apply
The Exciting Opportunity Pioneer the emerging field of bioelectronic medicine and uncover molecular mechanisms underlying the biological effects of electromagnetic...Apply