Last updated: 5 June 2020
Most importantly; we will not sell, trade, give, etc., any personal data we collect about you to any third party without your express permission.
What we gather from you
Whether you are looking for a job or wanting to advertise a job, we do not require any user to register for an account in order to use our site.
If you are looking for a job, we will not ask for your information anywhere on this site. Details about how to apply for jobs and where to send your application will be contained within each advert.
When posting a job advert, the information that you share relating to the job title, location, job type, discipline, job description, application details, and organisation will be shared on our website for the purpose of advertisement only for the length of time you request. The only personal information we require you to provide when submitting a job advert is an email address, which will be used to send a notification when the advert has been published and to establish your ownership of the job advert if you request subsequent edits or deletion of the advert. This email address may also be used to contact you during the period that your advert is online. This email address will not be published on the website within the job advert and will not be shared with third parties. We will only store this email address for as long as the advert is online.
If you contact us for any reason, we will store your email address and name only for the purpose of replying to you in order to answer your question, address your comments, solve your problem, or record your feedback. We will not use your email address for any other purpose.
We will store information that you voluntarily give to us, including answers given to the optional questions at the end of the job submission form. If you consent for us to keep the email address you provided for us to notify you of the publication of your advert, we will store that email address so that we can contact you to ask you about your experience using jobRxiv.org and other short questions that will help us to improve the site. We will not share your email address with third parties.
When we provide services, we want to make them easy, useful and reliable. This sometimes involves placing small amounts of information on your device, for example, computer or mobile phone. These include small files known as cookies. They cannot be used to identify you personally.
These pieces of information are used to improve services for you through, for example:
- enabling a service to recognise your device so you don’t have to give the same information during one task,
- measuring how many people are using services, so they can be made easier to use and that there is enough capacity to ensure they are fast.
You can manage these small files yourself and learn more about them from: AllAboutCookies.org
We may use Google Analytics which is a web and application analytics tool that helps us understand how users engage with our Website. Google Analytics collects Internet Protocol (IP) addresses to provide and help protect the security of our service, and to provide a sense of which country, state, or city in the world our users come from.
Use of your information
We may use information collected about the use of our website to:
- Compile anonymous statistical data and analysis for use internally or with third parties;
- Troubleshoot problems and improve the operation of the website; and
- Monitor and analyse usage and trends to improve your experience with the website.
Disclosure of your information
We will share your information with law enforcement agencies, public authorities, or other organisations if legally required to do so, or if we have a good faith belief that such use is reasonably necessary to:
- Comply with a legal obligation, process, or request;
- Enforce our Terms and Conditions and other agreements, including investigation of any potential violation thereof;
- Detect, prevent, or otherwise address security, fraud, or technical issues; or
- Protect the rights, property or safety of us, our users, a third party or the public as required or permitted by law.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet or email is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted through the Website or over email; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data against loss, theft and unauthorised use, access or modification.
Storage of data
We will retain your information as follows:
- If you contact us via email, we will keep your data for 6 years after, as per statutory requirements;
- Website analytical data, including location data, will be kept for 50 months.
Before visiting and providing any information to any third-party websites, you should inform yourself of the privacy policies and practices (if any) of the third party responsible for that website, and should take those steps necessary to, in your discretion, protect the privacy of your information.
We are not responsible for the content or privacy and security practices and policies of any third parties, including other sites or services that may be linked to from our website.
In certain circumstances you have rights in relation to the personal data we hold about you. We set out below an outline of those rights and how to exercise those rights. Please note that we will require you to verify your identity before responding to any requests to exercise your rights by providing your email address and the job ID (that you can find in your notification email) for your advert . To exercise any of your rights, please email email@example.com
- Access: you have the right to know whether we process personal data about you, and if we do, to access data we hold about you and certain information about how we use it;
- Correction: you have the right to require us to correct any personal data held about you that is inaccurate;
- Erasure: you may request that we erase the personal data we hold about you in the following circumstances: where you believe it is no longer necessary for us to hold the personal data, we are processing it on the basis of your consent and you wish to withdraw your consent, we are processing your data on the basis of our legitimate interest and you object to such processing, or you believe we are unlawfully processing your data. Please provide as much detail as possible on your reasons for the request to assist us in determining whether you have a valid basis for erasure;
- Restriction of processing to storage only: you have a right to require us to stop processing the personal data we hold about you other than for storage purposes in the following circumstances: you believe the personal data is not accurate for the period it takes for us to verify whether the data is accurate, we wish to erase the personal data as the processing we are doing is unlawful but you want us to simply restrict the use of that data; we no longer need the personal data for the purposes of the processing but you require us to retain the data for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; and you have objected to us processing personal data we hold about you on the basis of our legitimate interest and you wish us to stop processing the personal data whilst we determine whether there is an overriding interest in us retaining such personal data;
- Objection: you have the right to object to our processing of data about you and we will consider your request. Please provide us with detail as to your reasoning so that we can assess whether there is a compelling overriding interest in us continuing to process such data or we need to process it in relation to legal claims.